I love movies, but I love lists a whole lot more. After recently watching a movie (hint, hint… #1 on this list), I’ve been on a huge movie kick so here are my top 10 must-see movies.
**Disclaimer: It was extremely hard for me to cut it down to only 10!**
10. The Patriot: A historical fiction based on the Revolutionary War, Mel Gibson plays a farmer turned minuteman after his son is killed by a barbarous British colonel (Jason Isaacs). As a huge history nerd, this is one of my favorite movies. It also helps that I’m super patriotic, and hello Heath Ledger!
9. Any Harry Potter film: Seriously, even if you didn’t read the books, you have to see at least one, if not all of the movies from this series. In case you’ve lived under a rock for over the past decade, Harry Potter is a young wizard who gets accepted to everyone’s dream middle/high school, Hogwarts, to learn magic. However, not everything is sunshine and rainbows at Hogwarts because the evil Dark Lord put a curse on Harry when he was an infant and neither of them can survive while the other is alive.
8. Breakfast at Tiffany’s: Because everyone has to see at least one Audrey Hepburn movie in their life. Audrey plays Holly Golightly, a whimsical New Yorker who daydreams about one day marrying rich. If you love New York and fashion as much as I do, you are sure to love this light-hearted story.
7. Love Actually: Granted, I’m not the biggest fan of “lovey-dovey” films, but this movie is definitely one of my favorites. The film follows eight couples living in London, England a month before Christmas. While it seems like they all are living separate lives, all of their stories wind up coming together in the end. Much like the more recent New Years Eve and Valentine’s Day, the movie features big name stars such as Keira Knightly, Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, Liam Neeson, and many more.
6. Titanic: I really think the film speaks for itself, it’s a classic. Featuring Kathy Bates (who just happens to be my sorority sister), Kate Winslet, and, of course, Leo DiCaprio, Titanic is the story of Jack and Rose- two people from opposing social classes who fall in love on a sinking ship.
5. Phantom of the Opera: Because I obviously had to throw my favorite musical into the mix! While nothing will ever measure up to actually seeing it on Broadway, having the dvd on had to watch whenever I need my musical fix definitely comes in handy. Gerard Butler plays the Phantom of the Paris Opera House who grows obsessed with young Christine Daae. Unfortunately, he has to put up with some serious competition found in Raoul (Patrick Wilson), Christine’s childhood friend and love interest. The music, the costumes, Gerard Butler’s voice, what more could you want?
4. Beauty and the Beast: Not only is it my absolute favorite Disney movie of all time, but in March 2017, the live action version starring Emma Watson comes to theaters! You could say I’m a little excited (but that would be an understatement). Long story short, a young peasant girl winds up at the castle of a beast (former handsome prince) after her father goes missing and takes his place as the beast’s “prisoner”. She goes on to discover that there’s actually a curse placed on the castle and all of its inhabitants, but it can be broken if the beast learns to love before the last petal falls off the enchanted rose.
3. Sex and the City the Movie: The perfect girls’ night movie, complete with cosmopolitans. The film follows Carrie Bradshaw and her friends much like the series, but this time there are big plans for Carrie, Big and the rest of the crew.
2. Dirty Dancing: Such a classic, and as a dancer, it’s obviously one of my faves! Johnny (Patrick Swayze) and Baby (Jennifer Grey) become an unlikely couple while Baby’s family is vacationing at the resort where Johnny works as a dance instructor. I dare you to not dance along while watching the finale!
1. Age of Adaline: This, by far, is one of the most breathtakingly beautiful movies I have ever seen. The viewer follows Adaline Bowman (Blake Lively) on her journey through multiple decades after being physically unable to age after a freak accident. Eventually, she meets a man who turns her world around after decades of running from love.
What are some of your must-see movies? Paste a URL to your own top 10 blog post or comment below!