If you follow me on any form of social media, you know that my boyfriend, Ryan, is in the Air Force and has been stationed on the other side of the world for a little over a year. I’m so excited to announce that in just three short months I will be hopping on a plane to visit him for a two week Italian adventure!! This is my first time traveling internationally so I’m super stoked, but also a little nervous, but that’s to be expected. I’m mostly elated to be reunited with my guy; It’s also the first big vacation Ryan and I are taking together in our three years of being together.
Since this is my first international flight, I’ve been doing a ton of research to plan and prepare. I’ve obviously never been on a flight this long and I have the tendency to get bored easily so I need plenty to keep me occupied during my travels. In honor of this exciting news, here is my list of necessities for traveling.
- First and foremost, I always take a large tote bag or backpack as my purse carry-on so that I can have my essentials right at my fingertips throughout the flight. I just purchased this one from Longchamp and I absolutely LOVE it. It fits everything I need and then some. It’s even large enough to fit a laptop if you wish to bring it with you for work related trips. The Longchamp could also be used as an overnight bag for quick trips.
- I also always bring a cross body bag or wristlet for daily use so I’m not lugging around a large tote. My boyfriend bought me this Michael Kors one for Christmas and it goes with just about everything!
- Your iPad or laptop is essential if you wish to do anything other than watch a movie on a long flight. I intend on using mine for blogging purposes, and I may just download a few games for fun. If you have any fun game recommendations, I’d love to hear them!
- I, personally, love the feel of having a book in my hand and, therefore, don’t download them onto my iPad. I’m still working on the Outlander series as I’ve mentioned in a number of previous posts, and I’m hoping to be on the 5th book by the time I leave. In fact, I may even bring a back up book between my layover and our train rides during our vacation.
- Hand Sanitizer is huge for me on a plane. I know it makes me sound like a germaphobe, but I’m always hearing about people being sick after flights. Plus, you never really know how often they clean your area. Piggybacking off of the hand sanitizer, hand lotion is also necessary with how dry the air can get on a plane.
- Whether or not I’m on a plane, I always have gum or mints on me. On long flights when I don’t have the opportunity to brush my teeth after meals or snacks, it’s nice to freshen up even the least bit with a piece. I also like to chew gum while taking off so my ears don’t pop – this may be an old wives’ tale, but I will never take off without it!
- Earbuds- to block out screaming children, your snoring neighbor, or to simply listen to music or watch a movie. I will never ever board a plane without mine.
- I tend to be a bit of a clumsy person so I always have a Tide To Go Pen on me to prevent stains.
- Chapstick is my best friend – I won’t leave the house without it, let alone the country. My go-to since middle school is Burt’s Bees Original.
- A new addition to my travel bag is roll-on perfume to freshen up before I land. For this trip, I chose the fragrance Burberry Brit Sheer – it’s a very light, floral, borderline fruity scent.
Not pictured above, but are also super helpful:
- Advil and/or Dramamine
- Cell phone (although that’s a given)
- Shawl/blanket scarf in case it gets chilly on your flight
What are some of your favorite travel essentials? Also, if you have any tips for me, I’d love to hear them in the comments below!!