I’m finally back from my two month hiatus! Truth is, it was much-needed for me to take a step back and focus on my full-time job and my mental and physical health, which I will be addressing in an upcoming post. Today I am celebrating something near and dear to my heart: this blog!
5 years ago yesterday, I started on a journey to enhance my writing skills on an outlet that I never knew would become such a passion of mine. From the very beginning, I knew that this isn’t something I wanted to do for money or likes, but I wanted to do it because it was something that I genuinely enjoyed, and I desperately needed a creative outlet. I always thought, “if one person can read this, and take something away from it that makes them feel as though they’ve connected on some level with me, then I’m doing something right.” One of the beautiful things about blogging is that it’s a way of telling your story without any guidelines or having to stick to anyone else’s voice. The fact that I’ve always been able to be 100% authentic is what truly drives me to continue to blog.
TOP 5 LESSONS LEARNED IN 5 YEARS OF BLOGGING:
- There will be times when you need to take a step back from blogging, and that’s okay. Life can be really freaking hard sometimes and you owe it to yourself to keep your health in check.
- Your writing, style and interests will evolve and change as you grow and learn. Let it happen.
- Quit comparing yourself to others; you don’t have to “keep up with the Joneses” to be a good blogger.
- Stay true to yourself — don’t try to be someone you’re not.
- People will be judgmental and have some not-so-nice things to say when you put yourself out there. Don’t let these people stop you from sharing your story and chasing your dreams.
Always have kickass support system behind you. Unfortunately, your blog will not be everyone’s cup of tea, but there are always those family members and friends that will be there to support your every blog and Instagram post regardless of how avant garde it can be. Make sure you keep these people in your circle forever.
Thank you so much for sharing in this journey with me these last five years, and for the steadfast support. I have some of the best followers ever!
Cheers to many more years!