If you follow me on any form of social media, you know that my boyfriend, Ryan, is in the Air Force and has been stationed on the other side of the world for a little over a year. I’m so excited to announce that in just three short months I will be hopping on a plane to visit him for a two week Italian adventure!! This is my first time traveling internationally so I’m super stoked, but also a little nervous, but that’s to be expected. I’m mostly elated to be reunited with my guy; It’s also the first big vacation Ryan and I are taking together in our three years of being together.
Since this is my first international flight, I’ve been doing a ton of research to plan and prepare. I’ve obviously never been on a flight this long and I have the tendency to get bored easily so I need plenty to keep me occupied during my travels. In honor of this exciting news, here is my list of necessities for traveling.
- First and foremost, I always take a large tote bag or backpack as my purse carry-on so that I can have my essentials right at my fingertips throughout the flight. I just purchased this one from Longchamp and I absolutely LOVE it. It fits everything I need and then some. It’s even large enough to fit a laptop if you wish to bring it with you for work related trips. The Longchamp could also be used as an overnight bag for quick trips.
- I also always bring a cross body bag or wristlet for daily use so I’m not lugging around a large tote. My boyfriend bought me this Michael Kors one for Christmas and it goes with just about everything!
- Your iPad or laptop is essential if you wish to do anything other than watch a movie on a long flight. I intend on using mine for blogging purposes, and I may just download a few games for fun. If you have any fun game recommendations, I’d love to hear them!
- I, personally, love the feel of having a book in my hand and, therefore, don’t download them onto my iPad. I’m still working on the Outlander series as I’ve mentioned in a number of previous posts, and I’m hoping to be on the 5th book by the time I leave. In fact, I may even bring a back up book between my layover and our train rides during our vacation.
- Hand Sanitizer is huge for me on a plane. I know it makes me sound like a germaphobe, but I’m always hearing about people being sick after flights. Plus, you never really know how often they clean your area. Piggybacking off of the hand sanitizer, hand lotion is also necessary with how dry the air can get on a plane.
- Whether or not I’m on a plane, I always have gum or mints on me. On long flights when I don’t have the opportunity to brush my teeth after meals or snacks, it’s nice to freshen up even the least bit with a piece. I also like to chew gum while taking off so my ears don’t pop – this may be an old wives’ tale, but I will never take off without it!
- Earbuds- to block out screaming children, your snoring neighbor, or to simply listen to music or watch a movie. I will never ever board a plane without mine.
- I tend to be a bit of a clumsy person so I always have a Tide To Go Pen on me to prevent stains.
- Chapstick is my best friend – I won’t leave the house without it, let alone the country. My go-to since middle school is Burt’s Bees Original.
- A new addition to my travel bag is roll-on perfume to freshen up before I land. For this trip, I chose the fragrance Burberry Brit Sheer – it’s a very light, floral, borderline fruity scent.
Not pictured above, but are also super helpful:
- Advil and/or Dramamine
- Cell phone (although that’s a given)
- Shawl/blanket scarf in case it gets chilly on your flight
What are some of your favorite travel essentials? Also, if you have any tips for me, I’d love to hear them in the comments below!!
With summer being (unfortunately) half-over, I’ve been reflecting a lot on my summer wardrobe. While, I admit, I do miss my sweaters, I’m not ready to pack away my sandals and sundresses. A lot of the clothing I own can be mixed and matched and worn during all four seasons; As a Michigander, this is pretty important as so we need to be prepared to experience all four in the same week. So, without further ado, these are some of my summer fashion staples:
Sunhat (I prefer mine with a monogram) such as this one from Marley Lilly. I love my freckles, but I’m fully aware of the damage the sun can do. A big sunhat (or baseball cap like this) helps keep your face out of the sun no matter what the outdoor occasion!
My obsession with over-sized sunglasses like these by Kate Spade from Nordstrom began with the dawn of The Hills. Lauren Conrad immediately became, and still is today, my favorite fashion icon. Luckily for me, these fit my face shape perfectly enough that I do not look like a bug when I wear them.
Wedges/cute sandals that go with just about every outfit are a huge staple in my closet. My personal favorite are my gold Jack Rogers; they aren’t the comfiest shoes, but they definitely go with just about everything I own.
Sundresses, sundresses, sundresses! I can’t get enough of them. They can be super casual such as a tee-shirt dress or they could be a day-to-night dress by adding the right shoes and accessories.
Maxi-dresses/Skirts are perfect for the exact same reason as stated above. One of my favorites are the versatile ones that can be a dress or a skirt.
These are just a few of the twice-as-long list of some of my necessities for a stylish summer. What are some of yours?
Follow me on social media: Twitter|Instagram|Pinterest
It’s almost that time of year again: School Time! While I do admit I love going back to school, I must say I’m dreading this year solely because it will be my last first day of school EVER (Shoutout to all my fellow college seniors! Whoop whoop!) With the school year, rapidly approaching, I thought I’d share some of my back to school must-haves for new and returning college students. There’s just something about brand new books, clean notebooks, and brand new pens that just fills me with so much excitement for the upcoming year!
So, without further ado, here are my essentials for the upcoming school year:
- Simulateously cute and durable backpack or tote bag (or both!)- In my case, three days of the week I only have one class during which I’ll most-likely be using my Michael Kors tote, however, I am on campus all day for the other two days which means I’ll have a lot more to carry around. I bought this particular backpack from PB Teen my freshman year so it has held up extremely well compared to those I’ve used in the past.
- Agenda– If you’re constantly on the go and are balancing school, work, and extracurricular activities, you definitely need to keep your everyday activities on-track with a planner. My personal favorite is Lilly Pulitzer‘s jumbo agenda which I purchased for this year in the print Red Right Turn; not only does it allow a large space for recording daily tasks, but it provides a fun travel list section, as well as colorful patterns.
- Durable Water Bottle– For obvious reasons, it’s important to stay hydrated during long lectures. I depend on my Camelbak Eddy to not leak nor crack while toting it from class to dance during my busy days.
- Pencil Case/School Supplies– As aforementioned, I love school supplies, especially of the cute variety. I carry my necessary supplies around in an adorable cream and gold polka dot Kate Spade pencil case purchased at Paper Source. A few of my preferred supplies includes Sharpie fine-point pens, Bic velocity pencils, Sharpie highlighters (in multiple colors), and post-it notes.
- Notebooks or a Reliable Laptop– While I am a huge fan of modern technology, I prefer to take my notes with the old-fashioned pen and paper. I’ve discovered through trial and error that I am more susceptible to remembering my notes if I hand-write them.
While these are just a few of my many essentials, I hope this gives you an idea of items that will help you survive your next school year. Best of luck to everyone returning to school!