Happy New Year!
Every year I share my goals for the year with my readers as a means of holding myself accountable (see last year’s goals here). At least once a month, I take a look back at the post to remind myself of my priorities and altar my strategy to reach my goals, if need be.
As you continue reading, you might notice that a lot of the goals are the same as last year’s. Why, you ask? The answer is quite simple – last year I failed to hold myself accountable or give myself the ability to measure my goals. Reflection on the pure laziness I exhibited last year lit a fire in me to be so much better than I was last year. So, here are my measurable, attainable goals for 2018:
- Work towards my goal of being fluent in another language by utilizing Duolingo at least 3 times a week – I used this app before my trip to Italy and it helped immensely. This time around, I will be using it to freshen up on my French!
- Explore a new place once a month – either local or out of town
- Be mindful of what I’m putting into my body, and log it daily
- Go AT LEAST an hour without technology a day
- Continue my education either through grad school or online courses
- Workout at least 5 times a week – I just started the Body Love app by Anna Victoria and, surprisingly, I actually love it! I’ve mentioned before that I loathe working out, but this time around, I’m actually looking forward to my workout for the day which is a HUGE improvement. I will be giving updates throughout my new fitness journey on my social media channels which are linked in the sidebar if you do not follow me already!
What are your goals for 2018? If we have similar goals, what are you doing to reach them?
It’s amazing what can happen in only a year! Exactly a year ago today I posted my first goals update (you can view this here) a little over a year after creating my original list of 101 goals (original post here) for one of my internships. A year later, so much has changed: I’ve been at my full-time job for a year now, Ryan and I are over halfway through beating long distance, and the thought of grad school has become very, very real.
Here is where I’m at so far:
Graduate college – completed April 29, 2016!
- Swim with dolphins
- Get published
- Visit all 50 states – Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Louisiana, New York, Florida, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Texas, Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, bonus: DC
- Travel to Europe multiple times – first trip to Italy completed April 2017!
- Go sailing
Be spontaneous for a whole day
- Rescue a dog from the shelter
- Buy a puppy
- Get married to the man of my dreams (he knows who he is;))
- Have children
- Start our own family traditions
- Own a boat
- Be a role model
- Take up yoga regularly
- Eat more vegetables – try to have them with every meal!
- Try a new food/drink every week – I’ve actually been very good with this one
- Own a house
- Be generally successful in all of my endeavors
- Become an exceptionally strong writer
- Learn not to get frustrated over mistakes – still working on this, but I’m getting better!
- Live a happy life
- Own a pair Louboutins
- Make six figures before I die
- Finish reading the Outlander series – I’m nearly finished with book 5!
- Write for a magazine
- Have a fun career
- Get a tattoo– BIG maybe
- Make at least one person happy every day for the rest of my life
- Make a difference in someone’s life
- Host a holiday meal for my family
- Cuddle a pygmy goat
- Make a second job out of blogging
- Donate a copious amount of money to charity
Complete at least five Pinterest projects I’ve pinned by the end of the year – Didn’t get it done by the end of the year
- Read at least half of BBC’s Top 100 Book List – Pride & Prejudice, HP & the Goblet of Fire, Winnie the Pooh, The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, Catcher in the Rye, HP & the Sorceror’s Stone, HP & the Chamber of Secrets, HP & the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Hobbit, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, Anne of Green Gables, The Great Gatsby, The Count of Monte Cristo, A Christmas Carol, Of Mice and Men, The BFG, Black Beauty, Artemis Fowl, A Tale of Two Cities, Holes, The Princess Diaries
- Take my mom on the vacation of her dreams
Buy my dad a boat – Dad just purchased his own boat so this is no longer a thing!
- Be in Times Square for the ball drop
Go on a wine tasting tour– completed at the Biltmore!
- Spend an entire day without touching my phone or laptop – I’m discovering that this is more and more difficult especially being in my field of work
- Sleep under the stars
- Take a cooking class
- Read the Bible in it’s entirety
- See Les Miserables on Broadway
- Go to Disneyworld and ride every single ride
Make diamond boards for my littles – Became an alumna
- Take the train to Chicago
- Speak French fluently
- Win the lottery
Have excellent credit
- Pay back my student loans by the time I’m 40 – I will if I continue on my current path!
- Watch the sunset in Hawaii
- Honeymoon in Paris
Start an IRA – Shoutout to my full-time job!
- Perfect my ice skating skills
- Maintain a budget
- Road trip to Alpha Delta Pi’s Executive Office
- Learn to sew
- Make my future husband breakfast in bed
- Learn to drive a manual
- Visit Nantucket
- Obtain my CPL
Have my own business cards
- Volunteer at least once a week
Purchase a new laptop – bought my first Mac in June 2017!
Get an international phone plan– lame goal, but necessary for my long distance relationship – We’re making it work with different messenger apps!
- Give up caffeine for a month – gave up pop for Lent last year, now only if I could give up coffee
- Meditate regularly
- Stop biting/peeling my nails
Purge my bedroom at my parents’ house before I move back in – Done!
Leave a lasting impact on my sorority; I want to be remembered – Became an alumna
- Have a date night at least twice a month (girls’ night when Ryan is away)
- Strive to learn at least one new thing a day
- Keep a journal of something I learn every day
- Buy coffee for a stranger
- Send flowers to a friend
Answer the 50 questions that will free your mind – Completed on my blog in two separate posts (first and second)
- Write a freelance article
Get a massage – Treated myself post-graduation
- Drink only water for a month
- Explore New England/the east coast in it’s entirety
- Perfect my handwriting
Attend a conference (nothing that has to do with my sorority) – Women in Automotive Conference last year for work!
Actually bake cookies instead of just eating the cookie dough – Made them and sent to Ryan May 2017
Try Tropical Smoothie – Done and I’m obsessed!!
- Get head-shots taken
- Go on a spontaneous trip
- Attend New York Fashion Week
- Attend the Kentucky Derby
No fast food for a month
- Become a morning person
- Strengthen my Instagram game
- Get a professional blowout
- Read for 30 minutes every night – So far, so good!
Upgrade my iPhone – Done this past Christmas
- Throw diamonds with Luke Bryan
Go on a road trip with Ryan – Done May 2015
- Make a blog friend
- See 10 classic movies – Half way there! Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Schindler’s List, Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs, Jaws, Westside Story,
- Buy a monogrammed stationary
Looks like I’m doing pretty good so far! A lot of these are long-term so I’m still working hard on them every day. What are some of your goals? Share a link to your own lists below!